The wedding of the year is fast approaching. Yes, after months of build up, Harry and Meghan will tie the knot at Windsor Castle on Saturday 19th May.
Although some of the details of the wedding remain a closely guarded secret, a few pieces of information have been released. And word on the street is that rather than opting for a formal sit down menu, the couple have chosen to have bowl food for their reception.
We’ve long been advocates of opting for a more informal style of dining at weddings. And if the royals can opt for a more casual wedding breakfast, anyone can!
Bowl food or small plates are a great option if you have a large number of guests as it avoids the issue of trying to select dishes to suit everyone’s tastes. Instead, you get to choose as many different dishes as you like, just smaller versions, allowing you to cater for all. Many people will make their dish selections to include meat, fish and vegetarian dishes, giving a nice variety for guests. With Harry and Meghan’s wedding being on a spring day, the weather will hopefully be warm, giving the option of having some cold dishes too, such as salads.
So if we were designing a bowl food menu for the Royal wedding, what dishes would we suggest? Here are our Royal recommendations...
- Lobster mac and cheese - offering a nod to Meghan’s American upbringing, this lobster version is suitably refined for a wedding day!
- Cod cheeks with pea purée & potato puffs - a posh version of the British classic fish and chips!
- Citrus and herb quinoa salad - this light dish is perfectly pretty and delicate and ideal for a summer’s day.
- Vegan squash curry - rumour has it that Meghan follows a vegan diet during the week. Although we’re sure she’ll relax her eating regime for her wedding day, this dish is a great option for vegan guests.
- Slow braised beef shin with truffled polenta mash - this gluten free dish is rich and luxurious and the polenta offers a lighter alternative than mashed potato
- Braised lamb neck with sumac giant couscous - it's rumoured that lamb is a favourite of the Royals so we've chosen this summery little dish!
- Guinea fowl Caesar salad - always a crowd pleaser, this take on the classic is just a bit posher!
- Rhubarb G&T sorbet - We're sure Harry and Megan are partial to a G&T, so this refreshing sorbet sweetened with rhubarb is perfect
- Mini Balsamic Eton Mess - nothing's more English than strawberries and cream. In our version of the classic Eton Mess, the strawberries are taken to the next level with a balsamic marinade.